Poisonous Indoor Plants 

If you have children running around your house, getting into everything, and putting all kinds of things into their mouths, you owe it to yourself to know about some of the most poisonous indoor plants that could put you and your loved ones at risk. It seems that most people who have house plants don't realize that they could be potentially poisonous should a small child attempt to stick a leaf, flower, or a stem into their mouths – but in actuality some of the poisonous indoor plants could even lead to death if you are not careful.

One of the most common poisonous indoor plants is the Amaryllis, a species of flowering plant that produces a toxin that can lead to potentially deadly side effects if ingested. The Amaryllis is found in many people’s home and has an irritating toxin on its flowers that, if ingested, could lead to a variety of painful symptoms such as uncontrollable diarrhea or vomiting for several hours or days.

Another of the most poisonous indoor plants is the Poinsettia. This plant is common in many people’s homes during the holiday season in the winter. With its beautiful red and green coloring, it'is a festive plant to have around, but if your child were to accidentally eat one of the leaves it could lead to nausea or vomiting. While it was previously thought to cause death from eating a single leaf, that speculation has all been classified as a myth.

Finally, we have the Azalea, a common flowering plant that many people like to keep indoors in a bonsai form. Despite its pretty look, it is actually a moderately poisonous indoor plant which you should not only keep your children away from – but your pets too. As with most of the other common poisonous indoor plants, the Azalea will usually induce vomiting or nausea if ingested.